Amherst County Lions Club History
The Amherst County Lions Club is proud to be celebrating 60 years of Lionism in Amherst County. It all started with the Madison Heights Lions Club which was chartered by Lions International on March 25, 1956. They were followed by the Amherst Lions Club chartering on March 17,1964. Both clubs were struggling with membership issues resulting in an agreement between the clubs to merge. LionS International approved the merger on June 29, 2011. This enabled Amherst County Lions Club, our new club name, to serve the entire county.
We as Lions meet the needs of our local community and the world every day because we share a core belief-to serve our community.
What Do in our community
- We have provided free eye screenings to all of Amherst County schools.
- We provide free eye exams and glasses for those in our community who can not afford them.
- We support local food banks.
- We also support Lions International.
- We continue to collect and recycle eye glasses.
- We support our local Fire & Rescue Squads.
- We provide support to many community based organizations.